Coventry City Council complies with the Data Protection Act and the UK GDPR and is registered with the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) as a Data Controller.
This Privacy Notice explains how personal information is going to be used, what for, who it will be shared with and why.
Why we collect and use Personal Data about you
We collect and hold personal information relating to Library Membership.
We use this information to:
Set up your library account so you can use the library facilities
- Assign you an appropriate borrower type, e.g. Child or Adult
- Send you information relating to your account, e.g. notifications about requested or overdue items
- Update you on circumstances e.g. a bookable event in the Library that has had to be cancelled
- Enable us to carry out specific functions for which we are responsible
- Assess the quality of our services
- Evaluate and improve our performance
- Derive statistics which inform decisions about future delivery of services
We process personal data because it is necessary to comply with our legal obligations Public Libraries and Museums Act 1964
What information do we collect about you?
- Date of birth
- Contact details
Who we share your personal data with
We will share data with:
- Insight Media – This is a company we work with to help us manage booking public computers in our libraries
How long will we keep your information?
We will only keep your information for as long as we need to so we can give you the service you need, unless we must keep it for legal reasons.
You have the right to:
- Ask to see the personal information we hold about you
- Ask us to change information we hold about you if it is wrong
- Ask us to delete the information we hold about you
- Ask us to limit the way we use your personal information
- Ask for human intervention regarding decisions made about you by a computer
- Data portability (have your data transferred to another Authority)
- Complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office
To exercise any of these rights please contact Coventry Libraries and Information Service and/or email Libraries247@coventry.gov.uk
You have the right to submit a complaint if you are unhappy with the way your request is handled or disagree with a decision made by the council regarding your data. In these circumstances you can contact the Data Protection Team (DPO) and request a review of the decision.
If you are not satisfied with any outcome from the DPO you may wish to apply to the Information Commissioner’s Office at:
The Information Commissioner’s Office,
Date of last review: March 2021