Extending or carrying out work on your home

View the Planning Portal Interactive guide to find out whether you require planning permission or visit the Planning Portal Common projects page to find out about planning rules, permitted development limits and building regulations for over fifty common building work projects for the home.

Make a planning application

You are also advised to view the online map to check if your property is listed or in a conservation area.

If you want written confirmation that planning permission is not required, then you will need to submit a Certificate of Lawfulness.

You may also require building regulations consent for the works you are proposing.

How to make a planning application.


We are unable to give informal advice by telephone, please refer to our planning webpages for guidance.

Address: PO Box 15
Council House
Earl Street

Telephone: 024 7683 1109