Change of use/flexible change of use

What is a change of use?

Sometimes you can change a property's use without needing planning permission.

If you would like the Planning team to confirm that the proposed use does not need planning permission then you will need to make an application for a Lawful Development Certificate.

You can search for historic planning permissions or use our online map to research the planning history of a site or property.

Please be aware that planning permission does not always confirm the use of a premises or site as it may not have been implemented or the use may have changed since planning permission was given.

Please refer to the Government's planning guidance if you would like further advice.


We are unable to give informal advice by telephone, please refer to our planning webpages for guidance.

Address: PO Box 15
Council House
Earl Street

Telephone: 024 7683 1109