Get the best from this site

We would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. For more information, including how to turn cookies off, see more about cookies. Or simply continue below:


COVID-19 (Coronavirus)

This is affecting us all at work and at home. We’re working hard to keep services running and will focus our efforts on the most critical elements. In doing so disruption to many services is likely.

Read our latest update


Leaving the Armed Forces

Until you are discharged, the Joint Service Housing Advice Office and Veterans UK will provide tailored advice and support for you and any dependents. They can help plan a move into civilian housing on discharge. The armed forces should also refer you to a local authority for any additional housing help. 

If you think you will be homeless on leaving the Armed Forces, or are a homeless veteran, you can also contact the Council's Homelessness Prevention Service. Do not wait until you are made homeless. A letter of discharge or some other evidence that confirms the date of your discharge may be needed if you have yet to leave the Armed Forces. Our leaflet provides more housing advice when leaving the armed forces. 

Specialist help and support

  • Veterans' Housing Advice provides clear pathways for ex-service personnel in housing need to move into permanent accommodation. This service is provided in partnership with The Royal British Legion, Shelter and Connect Assist and can be contacted on 0808 801 0880.
  • SSAFA provides housing advice to people currently serving in the forces and ex-services personnel and their families. Call 0800 731 4880.
  • Once We Were Soldiers works with ex-services personnel who are homeless or have fallen on hard times. They can help with emergency, short and long term accommodation, medical care, benefits and referrals to other organisations. Call 01530 839 531 ext. 348.
  • The Single Persons Accommodation Centre for the Ex-Services (SPACES) can provide advice and support for single people leaving the Armed Forces. They can help ex-services personnel find housing throughout the UK, both temporary and permanent. Call 01748 833797, 01748 872940 & 01748 830191. You can also self-refer through their website

Accessing the Homelessness Prevention Service

The earlier you get in touch with us, the more likely we’ll be able to resolve your housing situation. Call the Homelessness Prevention Service on 024 7683 4025. 

Priority need for accommodation

Due to new homelessness legislation, you are not required to have priority need or links to a council area (local connection) to access the Homelessness Prevention Service. Priority need will only be taken into account to decide whether you are due interim accommodation under a relief duty or owed a main housing duty.

This means that we may provide you with short-term accommodation if you meet a certain level of need. This could be due to the length of time serving, the types of service engaged in, mental or physical health problems resulting from serving or difficulties reintegrating into civilian life. We will look at your situation and any people who are dependent on you to make a decision. For further details on what gives you a priority need or a local connection, call Shelter on 0808 800 4444 or see the government's guidance.

Homelessness Prevention Service


Tel: 024 7683 4025

Customer Service Centre
Broadgate House

Veterans UK

Tel: 0808 1914218

Veterans UK
Ministry of Defence
Thornton Cleveleys

Joint Service Housing Advice Office


Tel: 01252 787574

Floor 2
Zone 2
Montgomery House
Queens Avenue
GU11 2JN

Is there anything wrong with this page?