The new railway station building and multi -storey car park is open. Buses now use the interchange on Warwick Road which is accessed via a tunnel under Warwick Road.
As the existing railway station is Grade II listed which means there is limited scope for creating additional capacity within the existing station building. The Coventry Station Masterplan project was developed to deliver new infrastructure to meet current and projected future passenger growth Using funding from the West Midlands Combined Authority and the Coventry and Warwickshire Local Enterprise Partnership Growth Deal, £82million was used to improve accessibility and capacity. The work included:
- Creation of a second footbridge connecting all four platforms via stairs and lifts and extended platform canopies. The footbridge will connect directly to the new station building
- A second station entrance building, with entry points from Station Square and Warwick Road alongside the new access tunnel via the transport interchange under Warwick Road provides step-free access to platforms
- A 633 space multi-storey car park sits on top of the new station building
- Extension of the pedestrian boulevard to create a high-quality traffic-free route from the station to Greyfriars Green
- Creation of a new taxi loop and separate vehicle drop off loop
- A transport interchange connected directly to the station building via a new access tunnel under Warwick Road, create better integration with bus services for passengers
- Highway improvements to Warwick Road which included upgrading the roundabout at the Central 6 junction and creating a new access road from the multi-storey car park onto Warwick Road. A new two-way link road has also been created between Westminster Road to the ring road slip road as part of the work.
The new station building will house up to five retail units and has passenger facilities including new waiting rooms, toilets and ticket machines. The new multi-storey car park has been constructed above the new station building with integrated lift access from the car park to station level. Additional cycle parking has also been provided.
Take a look at the latest photographs on Flickr.
If you have any questions, please contact us at email@example.com
If you would like to receive email updates about the rail station improvements, please sign up.
You can also watch drone footage of the site in February 2022: