Get the best from this site

We would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. For more information, including how to turn cookies off, see more about cookies. Or simply continue below:


COVID-19 (Coronavirus)

This is affecting us all at work and at home. We’re working hard to keep services running and will focus our efforts on the most critical elements. In doing so disruption to many services is likely.

Read our latest update


Abuse, violence and threats

Call 999 if a crime is happening now or you're in immediate danger. 

 Abuse and violence can be psychological, physical, financial or emotional. It can include:

  • domestic abuse
  • domestic violence
  • control, for example, not being allowed to go where you want, when you want
  • coercion, for example, being forced to do things you don't want to do
  • female genital mutilation (FGM)
  • forced marriage
  • human trafficking and modern slavery
  • sex work or prostitution
  • sexual violence
  • sexual harassment

Get help

Coventry Haven provide support, advice and safe accommodation for women and children experiencing domestic violence and abuse. Call 024 7644 4077.

You can contact the National Domestic Violence Helpline on 0808 2000 247 if you're a woman experiencing domestic abuse. 

You can contact the Men's Advice Line on 0808 801 0327 if you're a man experiencing domestic abuse. 

If you are in a same-sex relationship you can call Galop on 0800 999 5428

Read our self-help pack for people needing to move due to violence or threats of violence.

Homelessness help

If you need to leave your home and become homeless because of the threat of abuse or violence, you can contact the Homelessness Prevention Service or CDVASS. We will work with CDVASS to give you advice about finding somewhere to live and explore emergency accommodation options.

In all cases involving violence, the safety of the applicant and their dependents will be the primary consideration in deciding next steps.

If you need to leave your home, remember to take essentials with you such as a change of clothes, toiletries and any medication you need to take regularly. Try to bring important items such as your passport, bank and credit cards and mobile phone.

If you need legal aid, contact the Coventry Law Centre on 024 7622 3053 or at

Accessing the Homelessness Prevention Service

The earlier you get in touch with us, the more likely we’ll be able to resolve your housing situation. Call the Homelessness Prevention Service on 024 7683 4025. 

Priority need 

Due to new homelessness legislation, you are not required to have priority need or links to a council area (local connection) to access the Homelessness Prevention Service. Priority need will only be taken into account to decide whether you are due interim accommodation under a relief duty or owed a main housing duty. 

This means that we may provide you with short-term accommodation if you meet a certain level of need. We will look at your situation and any people who are dependent on you to make a decision.

For more details on priority need and local connection, call Shelter on 0808 800 4444. 

See the Homelessness Prevention Service page or read our leaflet for more information about specialist support available and how to access the Homelessness Prevention Service. . 

No recourse to public funds 

If you have entered the UK on a spouse or partner visa you may not qualify for homelessness help. Contact CDVASS on 0800 035 5309. You will need to apply to the Home Office's Destitute Domestic Violence Concession for permission to stay in your own right. You will then be able to access the Council's full homelessness service.

You can get specialised advice from the Coventry Refugee and Migrant Centre on 024 7622 7254 or by attending the drop-in immigration advice clinic. This takes place every Wednesday 11am to 1:30pm at Norton House, Bird Street, CV1 5FX.  

Homelessness Prevention Service


Tel: 024 7683 4025

Customer Service Centre
Broadgate House

Coventry Law Centre

Tel: 024 7622 3053


The Bridge

Is there anything wrong with this page?