Coventry City Council Complies with the Data Protection Act and the UK GDPR and is registered with the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) as a Data Controller. This Privacy Notice explains how personal information is going to be used, what for, who it will be shared with and why.
For admissions, Coventry City Council acts as a Joint Controller with local area schools.
Why we collect and use Personal Information about you
We collect and hold personal information relating to admissions for primary and secondary education. We process personal data because it is necessary to comply with our legal obligations set out in the Schools Admissions Code 2021 and School Admissions Regulations 2012.
We use this information to:
- Provide you with necessary and appropriate services in relation to admissions
- Provide local Schools with the information that they need
- Direct you to appropriate services internally and externally
- Help us to develop and improve our services
- Complete and send reports and census returns to Government departments
- To determine if a child's application will need to be processed through our fair access protocol
- To send you a link to the South Warwickshire Foundation Trust Health Questionnaire on their behalf
What information do we collect about you?
The categories of data we collect includes:
- Contact details
- First language information
- Council Tax information to check the address you give to us is correct
- Behavioural information such as exclusions
- Reasons why you prefer certain schools
- Special Educational Needs and Educational Health Care Plan information
Who we share your Personal Data with
We will share data with:
- All schools in the area that are appropriate for your child
- Internal departments within the Council
- Other Councils who need to process your application for a school in their local area.
- Ombudsman or other investigating authorities when a complaint has been lodged.
How long will we keep your information?
We will only keep your information for as long as we need to, so we can give you the service you need, unless we must keep it for legal reasons.
You have the right to:
- Ask for the Information that we hold about you
- Ask us to change your information if it is wrong
- Ask us to delete the information that hold about you
- Ask us to limit the way we use information we hold about you
- Data portability (have your data transferred to another Authority)
- Complain to the Information Commissioner's Office
You have the right to submit a complaint if you are unhappy with the way your request is handled or disagree with a decision made by the council regarding your data. In these circumstances you can contact the Data Protection Team (DPO) DPOTeam@coventry.gov.uk and request a review of the decision.
If you are not satisfied with any outcome from the DPO you may wish to apply to the Information Commissioner's Office at:The Information Commissioner's Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF.
Date of last review: August 2021