Information Governance privacy notice

This Privacy Notice explains how Coventry City Council's Information Governance Team use your personal information and who we shared with it with.

Why we need information about you

When you send a Subject Access Request, Freedom of Information request or complaint to the Council we use your contact details to respond to you.

We also ask for your identification when you send in a subject access request so that we can confirm who you are.

We collect and use personal data because Data Protection and the Freedom of Information Act laws say we have to.

What personal data do we collect about you?

  • Contact details
  • One form of identification (for SARs) from the list below:

Certificate of either:

  • birth
  • marriage
  • deed poll name change
  • passport
  • driving licence

One proof of residency - which may include items in the list below:

  • Utility bill
  • Council Tax statement
  • Bank/Building Society statement

How your information is shared

We will share your information with:

Other Council departments – when dealing with requests for information or complaints.

We are also sometimes asked by other organisations, for example, Health Services, other Councils, Police Department for Work and Pensions to share your personal information with them when there is a legal requirement for them to do so.

How long your information is kept for

We will only keep your information for as long as we need to, so we can give you the service you need, unless we must keep it for legal reasons. The time can be different depending on what we have collected the information for. We will not keep any identification details after we have confirmed who you are. We keep Subject Access Requests for 3 years from date of the request and Freedom of Information requests for 3 years from date of the request.

Complaints are kept for a minimum of two years until they are reviewed.

Your rights

You have the right to:

  1. Ask for information we hold about you
  2. Ask us to change the information held about you if it is wrong
  3. Ask us to delete the information we hold about you
  4. Ask us to limit the way we use your information

To exercise any of these rights please contact the Information Governance Team:


You have the right to submit a complaint if you are unhappy with the way your request is handled or disagree with a decision made by the council regarding your data. In these circumstances, you can contact the Data Protection Officer (DPO), Adrian West and request a review of the decision.

If you are not satisfied with any outcome from the DPO you may wish to apply to the Information Commissioner's Office at:

The Information Commissioner's Office
Wycliffe House
Water Lane
SK9 5AF.

Date of last review: August 2022