Exemptions from the energy efficiency regulations

The Private Rented Sector (PRS) Exemptions Register is for properties which:

  • are legally required to have an EPC
  • are let on a relevant tenancy type
  • cannot be improved to meet the minimum standard of EPC band E for one of the reasons set out
    • ‘7 Year Payback’ Exemption
    • ‘All Improvements Made’ Exemption
    • ‘Wall Insulation’ Exemption
    • ‘Consent’ Exemption
    • ‘Devaluation’ Exemption
    • ‘New Landlord’ Exemption    

Visit the GOV.UK - Guidance on PRS Register to find more information on exemptions and how to register them. 

You don’t need an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) if you can demonstrate that the building is any of these:

  • listed or officially protected and the minimum energy performance requirements would unacceptably alter it
  • a temporary building only going to be used for 2 years or less
  • used as a place of worship or for other religious activities
  • an industrial site, workshop or non-residential agricultural building that doesn’t use much energy
  • a detached building with a total floor space under 50 square metres
  • due to be demolished by the seller or landlord and they have all the relevant planning and conservation consents

Vacant buildings and demolition

A building is also exempt if all of the following are true:

  • it’s due to be sold or rented out with vacant possession
  • it’s suitable for demolition and the site could be redeveloped
  • the buyer or tenant has applied for planning permission to demolish it