Support for adults (18+)

If you have a lifelong physical impairment, brain injury or learning disability the All Age Disability Service would be the social care team that would provide an assessment in relation to care and support needs from 18 years upwards. The All Age Disability Service also would become involved with young people who have support via Children’s Social Care and/or Special Educational Needs Department (SEND) should they have presenting needs in relation to the Care Act 2014 (this is known as transitions). If you are an adult concerned about their mental health, you can talk to your GP who may be able to help you or they may refer you to specialist mental health services which are provided by Coventry and Warwickshire NHS Trust.

The Adult Social Care and Communities Directory has a range of useful information about support available in Coventry, including social activities and groups. 

If you are a carer of an adult with a disability and want to find out more about support in your caring role, you can find out more about carer support, including information about Carers’ Assessments and understanding your rights as a Carer.

Who can refer to the All Age Disability Service?

Any adult, aged 18+ with a disability who feel they have care and support needs can refer themselves to the service or a family member can contact Social care on their behalf.

The All Age Disability service can also receive referrals from other professionals, such as GP’s and District Nurses.

You can complete an online self-assessment or telephone Adult Social Care Direct on 024 7683 3003. 

Some children with disabilities may require social care support post 18 years as they transition into adulthood. In these circumstances, a child can be referred to Adult Services via the child’s school, their parent or by the Children’s Disability Team if they are already receiving support from them. An assessment under the Care Act (2014) will take place.

Learn more about the ‘transitions’ process or what is also called ‘preparing for adulthood’.

The assessment will focus on the young person’s eligible needs and the impact that has on them once they become an adult. For further information please read about the assessment process for adult social care support.

What type of support is available for adults with disabilities?

The All Age Disability Service (Adults Team) provide support to adults aged 18 years upwards with a lifelong disability, such as learning disability, physical impairment or an acquired brain injury. 

Adult social care provide assessments under the Care Act 2014 legislation which is different to children’s legislation. In order to be eligible for support as an adult you are required to have an appearance of need for care and support.

The focus of Adult Social Care is to provide personal and practical support to help people live their lives by promoting their independence and wellbeing. For further information please read about the assessment process for adult social care support.

The All Age Disability Service is committed to promoting your independence and a period of promoting independence support and assessment may be provided as part of the process.

There are two pathways in relation to Promoting Independence Services, one for learning disabilities and one for physical disabilities. These are described below, the needs of the individual will inform their bespoke promoting independence assessment. 

Learning Disability Promoting independence Pathway

Promoting independence (LD) intervention would enable you to maintain or learn new daily living skills or to support you to access community resources and be as independent as possible.

  • For some people travel training is identified as a way of meeting your needs. The Independent Travel Team is an important part of the All Age Disability Service offer. The team supports children and adults to develop skills in travelling independently, road safety and personal safety. This enables inclusion in the community.
  • A Support Worker will work with you to understand your interests, goals and aspirations for the future including volunteering and/or employment  and social engagement
  • An Occupational Therapist may look at whether equipment and/ or adaptations can help you carry out day to day living activities and live independently
  • Assistive technology will be explored to establish how this can support you with your  daily living routines
  • You may receive a short term package of care to enable people to develop skills to be able to carry out personal care tasks with support from a care agency, who specialise in supporting people with learning disabilities

 Promoting Independence Service

The Promoting Independence (PI) Service works with people with physical disabilities to develop their independence and daily living skills and develops a greater understanding of long term/ongoing care and support needs. A number of people could be involved in this assessment. Some examples of this are 

  • The Telecare Team will look at whether telecare equipment, such as personal trigger alarm, movement detector or medication dispenser
  • You may receive a short term package of care to enable people to develop or regain skills to carried out personal care tasks with support from a care agency
  • An Occupational Therapist will identify whether equipment and/ or adaptations can help you carry out day to day living activities and live independently

What happens when I need long term social care support as an adult?

Should you or a family member meet the eligibility for care and support after your assessment, the social worker will identify during support planning stage how your needs can be met in the least restrictive way.

Some examples of ways that needs can be met following a social care assessment are:

  • Care support at home for example support with personal care or getting up and ready for the day ahead.
  • A Direct Payment to enable you to arrange your care support
  • Day support
  • Supported living or residential care support
  • Respite support
  • Carers Assessment and support can be an outcome

Adult Social Care Direct

Speech impairment, deaf or hard of hearing? You can call using Next Generation Text (also known as Text Relay and TypeTalk): Call 18001 024 7683 3003

Address: PO Box 15
Council House
Earl Street

Telephone: 024 7683 3003