Support for your carer to take a break

It is really important that carers get a break from time to time because caring long-term can have lasting effects on a person’s health and wellbeing. You might need additional support so that you can arrange cover when your carer wants to take a break from their normal caring role, for example, if they want to go out with a friend or are going on holiday. This is sometimes called replacement care.

As with many social care services for adults, you will need to meet the eligibility criteria and there may be a charge for this service depending on the outcome of your financial assessment and your ability to contribute towards the cost of your care, however not everyone will have to pay or the charge could be very low.

This support needs to be flexible and different people will need different levels of help.  Replacement care can be organised in a number of ways.

Flexible short breaks

This is where some additional hours of support are allocated as part of your support plan and these can be used flexibly when your carer has something else they want to do such as visiting a friend or going out to socialise. We have a short break service provided by Carers Trust Heart of England which can be used or you might choose to take this as a direct payment so you can use a personal assistant or another agency.

Respite care

This is where you will need support over a longer period of time, for example, if your carer is going on holiday.

  • If it is safe for you to stay at home but you need additional support to cover the tasks your carer usually helps you with, you may need some temporary home support services or additional day opportunities during this time. 
  • If you need more support than can be provided at home you may need to stay in a residential home during this time.  This is called residential respite care.

Whatever option is required you can choose for us to arrange care and support on your behalf or to take your personal budget as a direct payment so you can arrange the support yourself with your carer.

Adult Social Care Direct

Speech impairment, deaf or hard of hearing? You can call using Next Generation Text (also known as Text Relay and TypeTalk): Call 18001 024 7683 3003

Address: PO Box 15
Council House
Earl Street

Telephone: 024 7683 3003