If a death happens abroad, the death should be registered according to the local regulations of that country and a Death Certificate should be obtained. To bring a body back to England or Wales you will need either the Death Certificate or authorisation for the removal of the body from the country of death.

To arrange a funeral in England or Wales you will need:

  • An authenticated translation of a Death Certificate showing the cause of death and
  • A Certificate of No Liability to Register from the registrar in England and Wales. You must get this certificate from the registrar in whose area it is planned to bury or cremate the deceased.

To arrange a cremation, a cremation order from the Home Office or a form 6 from the coroner will be needed. If the death was from natural causes, the Home Office will need the following documents;

  • Application for cremation (form A)
  • All original documentation from the country where the death occurred
  • Translation of documents if necessary

If the death was not natural it will be referred to the coroner who will open an inquest to investigate the cause and circumstances of death. In this case the coroner will issue Form E for cremation.

Bereavement services

Address: The Lodge
Cannon Hill Road

Telephone: 024 7697 5520