Food Safety Management systems

It is a legal requirement for all food businesses to have in place a certain amount of food safety paperwork, to prove that food is produced safely.

Different businesses will need a different amount of paperwork, depending on the size of the business, and the type of food that is being produced. For example, a small café will need a different amount of paperwork compared to a food factory.

How can I comply with the law?

You must identify steps in the activities of the business that are critical to ensuring food safety.  Having identified those steps, you need to ensure that adequate safety procedures are identified, implemented, maintained and reviewed in order to control the potential food hazards.  These controls may include temperature control, cleaning, avoiding cross-contamination, thorough cooking of food, personal hygiene etc.

The Government has produced a Safer Food, Better Business (SFBB) pack and diary refills to help businesses comply with this requirement. This is usually suitable for cafés, restaurants, takeaways, nurseries and other caterers. Safer Food Better Business packs and diary refill packs can be purchased on our website.

Cake making businesses

If you are thinking of setting up a cake making business from home, there are two useful leaflets that you should read before registering:

Food and Safety team

Open 9am–5pm Monday to Friday (excluding bank holidays)

Address: PO Box 15
Council House
Earl Street

Telephone: 08085 834333