Get the best from this site

We would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. For more information, including how to turn cookies off, see more about cookies. Or simply continue below:


COVID-19 (Coronavirus)

This is affecting us all at work and at home. We’re working hard to keep services running and will focus our efforts on the most critical elements. In doing so disruption to many services is likely.

Read our latest update

Do I need planning permission?

Prior notification of larger home extension

Permitted development right for householders - Notification of a proposed larger home extension

To enable further householders to benefit from a larger extension to their home without the need for a planning application, Regulation 4 amends the Part 1 of Class A of Schedule 2 permitted development right for enlargement, improvement or alteration of a dwelling house (C3). The amendment removes the date by which the larger extension must be completed, thereby making the right permanent. Those with prior approval no longer have to complete the development by 30 May 2019, including where this is set out in a letter granting prior approval. Any existing article 4 direction in respect of larger extensions to dwelling houses will remain in force unless it is expressly time limited. Applicants will no longer be required to notify the local planning authority that the development is complete.

Read further information.

For a property that benefits from permitted development rights, single storey extensions at the rear of a house can be built up to the following limits:

  1. Where the extension does not project more than eight metres beyond the rear wall of the original house on a detached property and six metres on any other type of property.
  2. Where the extension does not exceed four metres in height.
  3. Where the extension is within two metres of the boundary of the house, the eaves are not more than three metres in height.
  4. Your property cannot be in a Conservation area a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI)

Note: To benefit from the allowances, the developer must send in a prior approval application before any work has started. Read the larger home extension planning portal guidance and application forms.

New fees

There have been changes to the nationally set fee regulations that will mean that a fee of £96 will be payable for all Notification of larger home extension submissions.

Other criteria 

The enlargement of a house through any extension (or conservatory) is not permitted development if:

  1. Over 50% of your curtilage, (the land not including the original house) would be covered by buildings.
  2. The height of the extension would be higher than the highest point of the roof of the original house.
  3. The height of the eaves of the extension would be higher than the eaves of the original house.
  4. It would include a balcony, veranda or raised platform/decking that is over 30 cm in height.

You must also make sure that your proposed extension fits in with conditions of the permitted development. 

  • The extensions must be built from materials that are similar in appearance to those used for the exterior of the main house (except for a conservatory). 

If your proposed extension includes extending to the side of any part of the original home then this procedure cannot be used. This is important if your proposal includes an original wing (out rigger) to the rear of the property.

Some houses have had the permitted development allowances removed when the house was first built.

You can check your property to see if it is within a conservation area, a site of special scientific interest (SSSI) or within an area where permitted development has been removed using our online map.

Planning Portal: forms and additional guidance



Tel: 024 7683 1109

Coventry City Council
PO Box 15
Council House

Is there anything wrong with this page?