EMAS Specialist advisory teachers are highly experienced in supporting schools' induction and inclusion of newly arrived pupils learning English as an additional language. We offer training, guidance and support in terms of policy and practice as well as ongoing assessment and appropriate high expectation target setting.
View guidance and useful resources.
EMAS specialist advisory teachers offer:
- advice on a supportive induction process to ensure that newly arrived pupils feel welcomed and settled in their new learning environment;
- support to collect language background information so that the prior knowledge and experience of the learner can be built upon;
- advice on supporting parents to access information about the school community and local services;
- support to assess and place learners on a language proficiency tracker so that their progress can be tracked and monitored;
- CPD on effective teaching strategies and resources which support newly arrived pupils in the classroom;
- advice on how to identify additional learning or language needs in EAL learners.