Get the best from this site

We would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. For more information, including how to turn cookies off, see more about cookies. Or simply continue below:


COVID-19 (Coronavirus)

This is affecting us all at work and at home. We’re working hard to keep services running and focusing on the most critical. This means some services may be affected. For help, call 08085 834333.

Read our latest update

Repatriation of a deceased body from abroad to England

If a death happens abroad, the death should be registered according to the local regulations of that country and a Death Certificate should be obtained. To bring a body back to England or Wales you will need either the Death Certificate or an authorisation for the removal of the body from the country of death.

To arrange a funeral in England or Wales you will need:

  • An authenticated translation of a Death Certificate showing the cause of death and
  • A Certificate of No Liability to Register from the registrar in England and Wales. You must get this certificate from the registrar in whose area it is planned to bury or cremate the deceased.

To arrange a cremation, a cremation order from the Home Office or a form 6 from the coroner will be needed. If the death was from natural causes, the Home Office will need the following documents;

  • Application for cremation (form A)
  • All original documentation from the country where death occurred
  • Translation of documents if necessary

If the death was not natural it will be referred to the coroner who will open an inquest to investigate the cause and circumstances of death. In this case the coroner will issue Form E for cremation. More information is available regarding burials and bereavement.

Bereavement services

Email: [email protected]

Tel: 024 7678 5486

The Lodge
Cannon Hill Road

Is there anything wrong with this page?