About the Safeguarding Adults Board
Coventry Safeguarding Adults Board (CSAB) is a formal body whose objective is to ensure that adults who have care and support needs and who are unable to protect themselves are safeguarded. It is a statutory requirement and operates under the Care Act 2014 to ensure that there is a robust multi-agency framework for safeguarding adults and the monitoring of all its work in protecting adults in the City.
The role of CSAB is to ensure that adult safeguarding arrangements across Coventry are robust to and oversee the effectiveness of the safeguarding work of its members and partner agencies who should recognise the values and principles contained in making safeguarding personal. There are three core duties of the Board:
- Publish an annual strategic/business plan
- Publish an annual report (available on our page under Annual Report)
- Conduct Safeguarding Adult Reviews (SAR) for any cases that meet the criteria
Members of the Board are senior managers within their organisation who hold strategic roles and can speak for their organisation, commit it to actions and be held to account. All Board members are committed to working together to make Coventry a safer place for people with care and support needs. The Board meets quarterly and sub groups and task and finish groups carry out work on the Boards behalf and provide a report to every Board meeting.
Download our structure chart
The Board does not
- Directly provide services
- Investigate individual referrals/complaints
Coventry Safeguarding Board is made up of the following agencies:
- Coventry City Council – Adult Social Care, Public Health, Legal Services, Community Safety Partnership
- Coventry & Rugby Clinical Commissioning Group
- West Midlands Police
- West Midlands Fire Service
- West Midlands Ambulance Service
- University Hospital Coventry & Warwickshire (UHCW)
- Coventry & Warwickshire Partnership Trust (CWPT)
- NHS England
- National Probation Services Community Rehabilitation Company
- National Probation Service
- Adult Education – Hereward College
- Chairs of the Sub /Task & finish Groups
- The Board is independently chaired by Derek Benson, and supported by a Business Manager and an administrator.
Coventry Safeguarding Adults Board Sub groups
The Board has four sub groups and two Task and Finish groups - the chairs of all groups are members of the Board. Each group is required to produce a report of the activity of the group at every Board meeting.
- Business Executive
- Safeguarding Adults Review (SAR)
- Quality, Performance and Assurance (QP&A)
- Workforce Development (WFD)
- Policy & Procedures (P&P)
Current priorities of the Board
Board priorities for 2019 - 2021
- To be assured that safeguarding is underpinned by the principles of ‘Making Safeguarding Personal’ and that adults are supported to achieve the outcomes that they want.
- To be assured that services and agencies have appropriate systems, processes and training in place to support and safeguard adults effectively.
- To be assured in respect of issues that are complex, yet that sit outside of safeguarding, that agencies and organisations are working effectively together to prevent abuse /support people with a range of vulnerabilities