Get the best from this site

We would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. For more information, including how to turn cookies off, see more about cookies. Or simply continue below:


Conservation areas

What type of permission do I need?

There are several types of permission you may need if you live in a conservation area. You should always check if you need permission before starting any work and contact Development Control if you have any queries.

In a conservation area you may need planning permission and building regulations approval for some alterations and extensions, which would normally be permitted, and conservation area consent if you want to carry out demolition work.

Your building may also be listed and you may need listed building consent. In this case there are special restrictions that apply.

Works in certain conservation areas may also have archaeological implications.

Trees in conservation areas

Trees over a certain size in conservation areas are protected. You will need permission to carry out any works to trees and you must give us six weeks notice of any work that you want to carry out. It is a criminal offence to cut, lop, uproot, wilfully damage or fell any tree in a conservation area without permission. The maximum penalty is a £20,000 fine in the Magistrates Court, or an unlimited fine in the Crown Court.

Conservation and Archaeology


Coventry City Council
PO Box 15
Council House

Is there anything wrong with this page?