Private renting

Moving out

When you want to move out of a private rented property, it is important to give suitable notice to your landlord. In most cases you don't have to give written notice if you are moving out at the end of a lease, but you should check your rental agreement to see what sort of formal notice is needed. If you leave before a lease expires, you are responsible for paying the rent for the remainder of the lease. But the landlord must make an effort to re-rent the property at a reasonable price. If this is not done, you might not have to pay rent beyond a reasonable period of time.

When you leave you should get your deposit back within two to four weeks as long as there is no damage. It is a good idea to take photographs of the property when you first move in and as you move out.

If your landlord unreasonably withholds your deposit you should get advice from a solicitor, Coventry Law Centre or the Citizens' Advice Bureau.

If you rent through an agent who is accredited with the Association of Residential Letting Agents or the Royal Institute of Surveyors you may be able to complain to their professional body.

Further information on the deposit schemes.

Customer Services

Open 9am–5pm Monday to Friday (excluding bank holidays)

Tel: 08085 834333


If you do need to call us,
please try to avoid our busiest times
of lunchtime and early afternoon.

Is there anything wrong with this page?