Get the best from this site

We would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. For more information, including how to turn cookies off, see more about cookies. Or simply continue below:


Getting support with your energy bills

Energy efficiency grants

Energy Company Obligation (ECO)

The Energy Company Obligation (ECO) is a nationwide Government energy efficiency scheme to help reduce carbon emissions and tackle fuel poverty. The larger energy suppliers fund the scheme and work with different contractors to install free or reduced cost energy saving measures such as new boilers and insulation into homes.

To find out if you could be eligible for support, please visit the Council's Energy Company Obligation web page.

Domestic Renewable Heat Incentive 

This is a financial incentive scheme, from the Government, to promote the use of renewable heat to help the UK reduce its carbon emissions. This scheme is open to anyone to apply for, providing you meet the joining requirements, but those who live off the gas grid are most likely to benefit. If you apply and are suitable, you'll receive quarterly payments for seven years depending on the amount of renewable heat your system produces.

The Domestic Renewable Heat Incentive (RHI) will cover certain types of hot water and heating systems, including heat pumps, biomass boilers and solar thermal systems. To find out more and to apply for this scheme visit Ofgem's RHI webpages 

Feed-in tariff 

The feed-in tariff (FIT) is a payment incentive for each unit of renewable electricity generated to encourage people to invest in renewable technologies such as solar panels and wind turbines. The owner of the system receives a payment not only for any unused electricity (which is fed back into the grid), but also for every unit of electricity generated, whether or not it's being used. What you earn for exporting electricity is worth much less than what you save by using it yourself. If you don't own your panels - for example if they were installed under a 'rent-a-roof' scheme or a community owned initiative, or installed by your landlord - you will probably not receive this payment as you don't own the panels. You may however benefit from the free electricity they produce.

To find out more, visit Ofgem's FIT webpages.

Act On Energy


Tel: 0800 988 2881

For advice and information

Is there anything wrong with this page?