The library service provides free access to a range of e-resources, and here you will also find links to websites which may be useful for any enquiries you may have.
- quick reference and encyclopaedias
- books and reading
- careers advice
- consumer advice and reviews
- domestic violence
- driving and transport
- film, TV, music, and the arts
- food poverty
- further education
- healthy eating
- higher education
- local history and family history
- mental health
- money management
- rape and sexual abuse
- refugees and migrants
- sexual exploitation
Quick reference and encyclopaedias
- Encyclopaedia Britannica - the world’s oldest and most trusted English language encyclopaedia including the Junior, Student and Adult editions. You will need your library card number (no spaces).
- Oxford Dictionaries - English dictionary and thesaurus. You will need your library card number (no spaces).
- Oxford English Dictionary - definitive record of the English language including meanings, history and pronunciations. You will need your library card number (no spaces).
- Oxford Reference - You will need your library card number (no spaces).
- Oxford Research Encyclopaedias - You will need your library card number (no spaces).
- Wikipedia - the world’s largest free encyclopaedia.
- Biography - over 7,000 concise biographies of notable people.
- Oxford Dictionary of National Biography - You will need your library card number (no spaces).
Books and reading
- Fantastic Fiction - bibliographies of over 40,000 authors.
- Guardian (Books) - the book section of the Guardian with book reviews and interviews.
- Independent (Books) - the book section of the Independent with book reviews and interviews.
- LoveReading - the UK’s leading book recommendation website.
- Which Book - for when you don’t know what to read next.
- Who Else Writes Like - suggestions of authors who write like your favourites. You will need your library card number (no spaces).
- Who Next - suggestions of authors who write like your favourites (for children’s authors only). You will need your library card number (no spaces).
- Companies House - company information including registered address, date of incorporation, current and resigned officer.
- National Careers Service - CV advice, skills health checks.
- Prospects - graduate jobs, postgraduate study, internships and apprenticeships.
- Go Citizen - online study resource for candidates preparing for the Life in the UK test. You will need your library card number (no spaces).
Consumer advice and reviews
- Which? - product and service reviews, independently rated by experts. Only available on library computers (please ask a member of staff to log you onto the site).
- Coventry Haven (Women’s Aid) - local charity providing advice and support to women in abusive relationships.
Driving and transport
- The Highway Code - essential reading for everyone; drivers, cyclists, motorcyclists, riders and pedestrians.
- Network West Midlands - public transport network in the West Midlands, including bus and train information, service updates and journey planners.
- Theory Test Pro - online study resource for the car, PCV, LGV and ADI theory test, including the hazard perception test. You will need your library card number (no spaces).
Film, TV, music, and the arts
- Belgrade Theatre - theatre in Coventry city centre.
- British Pathe - newsreels, video, archive, film, footage, stills.
- The Herbert Art Gallery & Museum - art gallery and museum in Coventry city centre.
- Oxford Art - You will need your library card number (no spaces).
- Oxford Music - You will need your library card number (no spaces).
- Warwick Arts Centre - arts centre based in Westwood Heath, Coventry.
- The Trussell Trust - national network of food banks.
- Coventry College - further education college with a campus in Hillfields (City campus) and Henley Green (Henley campus).
- Citizens Advice - national network.
- Coventry Independent Advice Service - local charity providing advice and support with benefits, housing and money.
- gov.uk - government services and information.
- NHS - health and medicines information.
- Eat well (NHS) - the NHS eat well guide.
- Coventry University - university based in Coventry city centre.
- UCAS - higher education advice.
- University of Warwick - university based in Westwood Heath, Coventry.
- Coventry Cyrenians - local homelessness charity.
- Coventry Homefinder - apply for social housing in Coventry.
- Shelter - national housing and homelessness charity.
- Coventry City Council (Job Shop) - search for jobs.
- Indeed - search for jobs.
- Jobsite - search for jobs.
- Reed - search for jobs.
- Total Jobs - search for jobs.
- WMJobs - public sector jobs in the West Midlands.
- Duolingo - language learning platform, also available as an app.
- Access to Research - over 10 million academic articles. Only available on library computers.
- Coventry City Council (Adult Education) - Coventry City Council's adult education service.
- Future Learn - free online courses.
- Khan Academy - free online courses, with a focus on STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) subjects.
- Learn My Way - learn how to use the internet, send an email, browse the web, or find work online.
- National Numeracy - assess your current numeracy level, then complete the Challenge to improve your numeracy skills.
- Open Learn (from the Open University) - free, open learning.
- Albert Kennedy Trust - LGBTQ+ youth homelessness charity.
- Coventry Pride - local charity organising Coventry’s annual Pride.
- Galop - LGBT+ anti-violence charity.
- LGBT Foundation - national charity providing advice and support to LGBT+ people.
- MindOut - LGBTQ mental health service.
- PRISM LGBTQ - local charity providing advice and support to young LGBT+ people.
- Stonewall - national charity providing advice and support to LGBT+ people.
- Switchboard - national charity providing a helpline for LGBT+ people.
- Report hate crime - report online or contact your local police service.
Local history and family history
- Ancestry (Library Edition) - Only available on library computers.
- Coventry Archives (including Coventry records office and local studies collection) - located inside the Herbert Art Gallery & Museum.
- Find My Past (British Edition) - Only available on library computers.
- The Gazette (including the London Gazette, the Belfast Gazette, and the Edinburgh Gazette) - publish statutory notices including insolvency and estates of the deceased.
- Historic Coventry - a treasure trove of local history including photos, maps, drawings, and a discussion forum to share your memories of the city.
- National Library of Scotland (Maps) - digitised historical Ordnance Survey maps for England, Wales and Scotland, other maps specific to Scotland.
- Improving Access to Psychological Therapies (IAPT) (service delivered by Coventry and Warwickshire Partnership NHS Trust) - for people with mild, moderate and moderate to severe symptoms of anxiety and depression.
- Mind - national mental health charity.
- Samaritans - there for anyone who needs someone to talk to.
- Budget Planner (from the Money Advice Service) - puts you in control of your household spending.
- Money Advice Service - free and impartial money advice including tools to help you budget, save, and plan for retirement.
- Times Digital Archive - Only available on library computers.
Rape and sexual abuse
- CRASAC (Coventry Rape and Sexual Abuse Centre) - free, confidential support to anyone from the age of 5 years old who has been affected by sexual violence, no matter when or how it happened.
Refugees and migrants
- Coventry Refugee and Migrant Centre - local charity supporting refugees and migrants.
- Kairos Women Working Together - local charity providing advice and support to women at risk of sexual exploitation.
- Coventry City Council - local information and statistics published by the Council.
- Office for National Statistics - official UK statistics.