In light of the latest Government advice on delaying the spread of Coronavirus COVID-19, we have advised staff to avoid unnecessary or non essential travel. This will result in the following changes to our pre-application service:
- Pre-application advice requests currently under review (awaiting meeting dates) – no meetings will be offered. Officers will provide you with a written response only with option for feedback.
- Pre-application advice currently under review (with meeting organised) – all face to face meetings will be cancelled. Officers will provide you with a written response with option for feedback.
At the current time we are only able to provide advice and information on major application schemes. We are seeking to introduce a full pre-application service for all application types, in the near future. Our service offers additional input from specialist advisers at an additional cost per specialism.
Obtaining pre-application advice is not compulsory but is advisable as it can result in the resolution of difficult issues prior to submission of a planning application. Development outcomes are generally better if applicants engage early on with us as it avoids applications being refused unnecessarily. We therefore encourage and welcome the opportunity to provide advice before an application is made.
The advice that we provide does not include neighbour consultation. This would be part of the formal application process. It is strongly advised that applicants discuss their proposals with neighbours, landowners or other parties interested in the relevant site before submitting a formal planning application.
We will make every effort to ensure that the advice given in the pre-application process is as accurate and up to date as possible based on the information that we hold. Specialisms will be added as a requirement if the Council's constraints map identifies a specific constraint within the boundaries of the site. Please see our fees. However, any advice by council officers for pre-application enquiries does not constitute a formal response or decision by the Council, with regards to any future planning application and, whilst it may be a material consideration, cannot be held to bind the council in its validation or formal determination of a subsequent application. If an application is subsequently submitted which fails to take on board advice given by officers, then the council may refuse it without further discussion with the applicant or their agent.
Our pre-application service will provide you with:
- An early indication as to the acceptability or unacceptability of a proposal.
- An early identification of the issues that need to be addressed, prior to the submission of a formal application. Providing knowledge on how national, regional and local guidance will be applied to your development.
- An early identification of the need for you to appoint specialists concerning matters such as highways, drainage, arboricultural, environmental protection (noise, contamination and pollution), urban design, ecology/biodiversity and heritage/conversation.
- An early identification of any Section 106 requirements/contributions.
- Advice on the plans and supporting documents you need to submit with your formal application to ensure that it is valid on receipt.
- An opportunity to reduce the quantity of negotiations and amendments required at the formal application stage.
- Providing advice that is consistent, reliable, up to date and tailored to your needs.
- Written confirmation of the advice given at the pre-application stage.
- A link to Gov.uk flood risk map.
PlanningAddress: PO Box 15