Apply for a dropped kerb

Applying for a dropped kerb could involve a two-part process depending on the type of road that you live on.

If you live on a classified road (see list of classified roads) then you will need to make a full planning application first -  Apply for dropped kerb (PART 1).

The Planning and the Highways teams will work together to check whether your application meets the required planning and safety standards. If it does, then once approved, you can proceed to Part 2 of the process.

If you live on a non-classified road (that’s any road NOT on the above list) then you can go directly to Part 2 of the process, which will be assessed by the Highways team without the need for a planning application.

Using an external contractor once your application has been approved

Please be aware that this section is for customers who have received approval from Highways for the construction of a dropped kerb. No applications for dropped kerbs can be taken by calling the number provided below. If you would like to apply for a dropped kerb, please refer to the information provided in the above section 'Applying for a dropped kerb'.

Our Policy allows external contractors to construct crossings in the city, in addition to our own Direct Labour Organisation.

Once Highway approval has been secured for a crossing, the applicant can now decide to use an external contractor – and a further £100 fee is payable. The applicant has to provide the following information:

  • Name of the Contracting company with contact details;
  • Evidence of the Contractor’s public liability insurance (£5,000,000 minimum);
  • Copies of the contractor’s Supervisors and Operatives NRSWA Streetworks qualifications cards (required under national legislation to undertake works on the highway);
  • Copy of the Permit to Dig;
  • A copy of the NRSWA Permit ref number (with date of installation).

Work cannot commence until this is received from the applicant.

Download a Permit application form. This must be completed, scanned and sent via email to: nicola.clarry-o’

Fee £75.00 per permit.

Coventry domestic vehicular footway crossing standard details

Standard detail for use by external contractors and the Council's DLO:

Footway crossing

Telephone: 024 7683 1303