Coventry City Council (CCC) Privacy Notice for School to Home Travel Assistance Services including the Statutory Assessment and Review Service and School Organisation Team

On 25 May 2018 the General Data Protection Regulation (UK GDPR) became applicable and the current Data Protection Act 1998 (DPA) was updated by a new Act giving effect to its provisions.

The new legislation requires Coventry City Council to be fair and transparent with people when collecting and using their personal information. To comply with the legislation, the Statutory Assessment and Review Service issue a specific Privacy Notice which applies to all families and young people (over 16) who apply for travel assistance. This explains how personal information is going to be used, what for, who it might be shared with and why.

The information you provide helps us to make decisions about eligibility for travel assistance and support you/your child and make sure that we meet our legal duties and responsibilities.

This information includes personal characteristics, home addresses, details of household income and benefits, details of special educational needs and/or disabilities, educational provision, medical information and details of the services we provide.

Coventry City Council complies with the Data Protection Act and the UKGDPR and is registered with the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) as a Data Controller.

Why we process Personal Data – the legal basis

We process personal data because it is necessary in order to comply with our legal obligations: in this instance to provide travel assistance to eligible children and young people and to enable us to perform tasks carried out in the public interest.

How we use the Information

We collect and hold personal information relating to children, young people, parents, carers, and other family members. The information gathered from the travel application process will be used to make decisions about eligibility for home to school/college travel assistance and where eligible will be used to arrange this.

In some cases we may need to gather further information to inform the decision making process. This information may be provided by schools, other educational settings, Department for Work and Pensions, HMRC, health agencies and other Local Authority departments including; social care and housing benefits.

We may also need to use this information to:

  • Help us to develop and improve our services
  • Complete statistical returns to Government departments

We are required to pass some of the information to the Department for Education who use the information for things such as; Local Authority performance management and funding, development of good practice, the names of individual children are not provided.

Who we share data with

We may share this data with

  • internal departments
  • other local authorities where we need them to arrange travel assistance on our behalf
  • other partner agencies that provide services on our behalf
  •  the governing bodies of schools, including non-maintained special schools
  •  the governing bodies of further education colleges and sixth form colleges
  •  the proprietors of academies (including free schools, university technical colleges and studio schools)
  • independent schools and independent specialist providers approved under Section 41 of the Children and Families Act 2014
  •  NHS Trusts
  •  NHS Foundation Trusts
  •  The First-tier Tribunal (Special Educational Needs and Disability)
  •  agencies with whom we have a duty to co-operate, such as police
  • Other third-party organisations, where the Law allows us to.

How long will we keep your information?

In accordance with Article 5 of the GDPR, Data Protection Principles personal data collected will be adequate, relevant and limited to what is necessary and held for no longer than is necessary for the purposes for which it was processed. Travel Assistance Data will be retained until the service user is no longer eligible and in receipt of Travel Assistance through our service area.

Your rights

You have the right to:

  1. be informed of data processing (covered by this Privacy Notice)
  2. request access your information held by CCC (also known as a Subject Access Request)
  3. Withdraw consent (see below)
  4. have any inaccuracies in your data corrected
  5. have information erased
  6. restrict processing of data
  7. data portability (have your data transferred to another Authority)
  8. intervention in respect of automated decision making
  9. Complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office ( information below)

To exercise any of these rights please contact the Statutory Assessment and Review Service or email

Withdrawal of consent

Where personal data is processed on the basis of consent, you will have the right to withdraw that consent. However Coventry City Council process personal data that it is necessary to do so in order to comply with our legal obligations and to enable us to perform tasks carried out in the public interest. 

Contact us

The Data Protection Team can be contacted via email:


You have the right to submit a complaint if you are unhappy with the way your request is handled or disagree with a decision made by the council regarding your data. In these circumstances you can contact the Data Protection Team (DPO) and request a review of the decision.

If you are not satisfied with any outcome from the DPO you may wish to apply to the Information Commissioner's Office at:

The Information Commissioner's Office,
Wycliffe House,
Water Lane,