We have classes in various venues around the city so there will be one close to your home.
Some of our classes are online only. We will help you access our online classes.
We run classes during the school term times. This academic year our term dates will be:
- Autumn - Monday 20 September - Friday 10 December (11 weeks) (Half term 25 October - 29 October)
- Spring - Tuesday 4 January - Friday 1 April (12 weeks) (Half term 21 February - 25 February)
- Summer - Monday 25 April - Friday 8 July (10 weeks) (Half term 30 May - 3 June)
The course is 33 weeks but people can join anytime during the year up until the start of the summer term. We also run a summer school in July.
Classes are in the morning, afternoon or evening.
We may be able to provide a crèche for some of our daytime classes.
English skill level
We have classes at all levels from Beginner/Pre-Entry level to Advanced/Level 1.
There are no formal entry requirements but we will need to check that you are eligible for our ESOL courses. To do this we need to see some ID.
- your passport/biometric residence card/EU ID card/proof of pre-settled status
- other evidence of your resident status eg Home Office letter or ARC card
We will also need proof of household income (payslips and/or income-based benefit documents - not child tax credit or child benefit).
You will work towards an ESOL Skills for Life qualification from City & Guilds or an Ascentis English Skills qualification at Entry Level 1, Entry Level 2, Entry Level 3 or at Level 1.
How to join a class
Phone the Adult Education district office on 024 7697 5200 to book an appointment for ESOL enrolment and assessment session in a venue or on Zoom.
The course is free if you are currently seeking work, on a low income or have a gross household income of less than £22,600.
A 33-week course costs £577.50.
We also offer courses for ESOL learners to learn other subjects as well as ESOL.
- ESOL for Driving
- ESOL & ICT (computers)
- Maths for ESOL
- Volunteering for ESOL learners
- Preparing to Work in a School for ESOL learners
- Caring for a Child for ESOL learners
- ESOL for Care work
- Community Interpreting
- English through music and song
- First Aid for ESOL learners
Adult EducationAddress: Southfields Old School