How do we decide who gets a Discretionary Housing Payment?

Each claim is considered depending on each person’s individual situation. The finances and personal circumstances of each person who applies are carefully taken into account. We will give priority where people are in danger of becoming homeless, or to ease financial pressure on vulnerable people.

If after considering your circumstances we decide that you have enough money to pay your rent yourself, we will expect you to use this money to keep up to date with your rent.

A DHP will not be awarded for the following situations:

  • To pay Council Tax - however, you may be entitled to claim Council Tax Support 
  • If you are receiving Universal Credit but don’t get the housing costs element
  • For water rates, meals, fuel or other ineligible service charges included in your rent
  • To cover a rent shortfall that occurs due to an overpayment being recovered from you
  • To cover a rent shortfall that occurs because your rent has been increased to cover rent arrears
  • To cover a rent shortfall that occurs because your Housing Benefit has been suspended
  • To cover a rent shortfall that occurs because of a sanction applied by the Department for Work and Pensions
  • To cover arrears where Housing Benefit or Housing Costs payments within Universal Credit have already been paid

Discretionary Grants and Awards team

Telephone line is open 11am to 1pm, Monday to Friday (excluding bank holidays)

Address: Customer Service Centre
3 Upper Precinct

Telephone: 024 7683 3773


Discretionary housing payments

Apply for Discretionary Housing Payments
A graphic of a white silhouette of a person shrugging and a speech bubble with a question mark inside

Get help with reading your Discretionary Grants and Awards information

Find out what support is available