What is a visual impairment?

A visual impairment is when a person has sight loss that cannot be corrected using glasses or contact lenses.


The Visual & Hearing Impairment Team is part of the Therapy Service within Coventry City Council.

We are a team of Rehabilitation Workers who work with people who are:

  • Deaf, deafened or hard of hearing
  • Visually impaired
  • Dual sensory loss (both sight and hearing loss)

Our main role is to promote independent living. We can undertake an assessment of your needs, which will include asking about how your visual or hearing impairment affects the things you do every day. You may be having difficulty seeing to read, write or tell the time, cooking your meals, making a cup of tea or crossing the road. People do not have to be registered to receive a service. If you have difficulty hearing or are profoundly deaf we can assist with advice and or some provision of communication devices.

Our Rehabilitation Workers will be able to discuss these with you and provide information, training and demonstrate any equipment available to help you with these tasks. The assessment may result in signposting to services where you can purchase certain types of equipment.

If you are 18+ and your needs cannot be met by provision of equipment or rehabilitation training you may wish to have a needs and wellbeing assessment with either a social worker or community care worker. If you have a dual sensory loss that impacts on your daily living including tasks at home, getting out and about and communication, a specialist assessment of your needs may be required.

Registering as blind or partially sighted

Visit your GP or optician if you're having problems with your sight. They can refer you to a consultant ophthalmologist (eye specialist) who can assess whether you qualify to register as sight-impaired (partially sighted) or severely sight-impaired (blind).

If you qualify, the ophthalmologist will complete a certificate of vision impairment. They will send it to Coventry City Council, who will contact you to find out what help and advice you need.

If you register with your local authority as blind or partially sighted, you may be entitled to travel concessions, such as a Disabled Person's Railcard. If you're registered as blind, you may also be entitled to other concessions, such as a Blue Badge parking permit and a discount on your TV licence.

The Royal National Institute of Blind People (RNIB) provides further information about registering your sight loss.

For further information please see our team leaflet and to refer yourself or someone you know please contact Adult Social Care Direct.

Adult Social Care Direct

Speech impairment, deaf or hard of hearing? You can call using Next Generation Text (also known as Text Relay and TypeTalk): Call 18001 024 7683 3003

Address: PO Box 15
Council House
Earl Street

Telephone: 024 7683 3003