What is a hearing impairment?

There are a number of different reasons why someone might be deaf or losing their hearing. You may have had a hearing loss from birth or it could have happened following an accident, injury or because of age.

If you think that you or someone you know has a hearing loss, this needs to be checked with your doctor.  You may then be offered a referral for a hearing test and hearing aids.

If you have seen your doctor, but are still having difficulties you can contact Adult Social Care Direct and ask to speak to the Duty Rehabilitation Assistant for further advice.

Registering as deaf or hard of hearing

You should also visit your GP if you’re having hearing problems. They can refer you to a hearing specialist.

You can also contact Adult Social Care Direct for help and advice about the range of services available. You don’t have to register to do this. However, registering with your local authority as deaf/hard of hearing may entitle you to travel concessions, such as a Disabled Person’s Railcard.

The Action on Hearing Loss website has information about benefits

Equipment for hearing impairment

If you have a hearing impairment you may not be able to hear what is going on around you, so you will need equipment to help you know if there are alarms or danger. The Visual and Hearing Impairment Team can assess people for equipment, such as smoke alarms or baby alarms. We can also assess and give advice if you are struggling with conversations or find you need the television too loud.

Information and advice can also be provided on other equipment such as doorbells and alarm clocks. Equipment can be bought from various charities and companies.

Other useful websites

Adult Social Care Direct

Speech impairment, deaf or hard of hearing? You can call using Next Generation Text (also known as Text Relay and TypeTalk): Call 18001 024 7683 3003

Address: PO Box 15
Council House
Earl Street

Telephone: 024 7683 3003