What can I do if I have a problem?

If you've got a problem with Children's Services or if you're unhappy about something that is happening to you, this can usually be sorted out by speaking to someone you trust like your social worker, keyworker or foster carer. But if they can't put things right for you, then you can make a complaint.

Children's Complaints Team

Address: Customer Service Centre
Broadgate House

Telephone: 08085 834 333