Discretionary Housing Payments (DHPs)

Urgent Notification – System unavailable 1 March 2024

Due to our end-of-year processes, we will not have access to our systems on Friday 1 March 2024. Our telephone lines will be closed and any applications or emails received during this time will be actioned as soon as our system is available. We predict our systems will be available on Monday 4 March 2024 but we will ensure all means of communication are updated if this is not the case.

Urgent message - 21 November 2023

We are currently experiencing a high volume of customer contact and applications during this time. This is resulting in longer than expected waiting times through our phone lines and additional delays to our processing applications. We are continually reviewing our work position and level of contact and will ensure all communications are updated as soon as possible.

If you cannot afford to pay your rent you may be able to claim extra help from the Council. This extra help is called Discretionary Housing Payments (DHPs). The Council has a limited amount of money for paying out DHPs so we will not be able to pay every claim. Our main priorities are to help prevent people from becoming homeless and to ease financial pressure for vulnerable people who live in Coventry.

Who can claim a Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP)?

To be able to make a claim you must be a resident of Coventry and must be getting:

  • Housing Benefit, or
  • Universal Credit with an award for rent costs

Discretionary Grants and Awards team

Telephone line is open 11am to 1pm, Monday to Friday (excluding bank holidays)

Address: Customer Service Centre
3 Upper Precinct

Telephone: 024 7683 3773


Discretionary housing payments

Apply for Discretionary Housing Payments
A graphic of a white silhouette of a person shrugging and a speech bubble with a question mark inside

Get help with reading your Discretionary Grants and Awards information

Find out what support is available