Get the best from this site

We would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. For more information, including how to turn cookies off, see more about cookies. Or simply continue below:


Requesting personal information

Access to your personal information

You have a right to ask for personal information we hold about you. This is commonly known as a Subject Access Request (SAR). A SAR gives you the right to be given a copy or summary of information about you. The following details will help you ask for information Coventry City Council holds about you.

What is personal information?

Personal information can be described as any information about you that can identify you, for example your name, address or telephone number. It can also be the type of job you do, the things you buy, an email address, a photo and the place you went to school or the services that we provide to you. It can also be held in different ways, for example electronically or on paper.

Applying for information/record(s)

To make it easier for you as the applicant and for Coventry City Council to identify a request for personal information, we have provided the following form for you to fill in and include all the details we may require so that we can locate the information you are asking for.

Data Protection Law says we are must confirm the identity of the requester, to ensure that we only give personal information to those who have a legal right to receive it. Therefore we will need to see proof of identification and will require one document from each list. A clear full colour copy from each of the lists below should be provided.

Personal Identity Documents List 1:

  • Current signed passport
  • Current full driving licence (paper or photocard)
  • Birth certificate
  • Adoption certificate
  • Marriage certificate

NOTE: For CCTV requests we will also require a copy of the V5 (Vehicle Registration) document

Residence Identity Documents List 2:

  • Gas, Electricity or Water Bill (dated within last 6 months for your current address)
  • BT/Cable Fixed Line Telephone Bill (dated within last 6 months for your current address)
  • Council Tax Statement/Payment Book (dated for current year)
  • Current bank or building society statement (showing your present address)

NOTE: We cannot accept provisional driving licences or mobile phone bills as identification.

Online form

Downloadable form

All requests for access to records should be addressed to the Information Governance Team at the address below.

NB. Your personal details and information may not be secure using email and we would suggest using our secure online form above.

Frequently Asked Questions

If I want my details, what should I include in the request?

Include as much detail as possible. If you are looking for any particular information, it helps if you make this clear. Asking for 'everything you hold' could mean that your request is delayed whilst we ask you to provide more detail. 

What happens after I make the request?

After the Information Governance Team receive your request, it will be checked to see if your request is clear enough. If this is not the case, you will be contacted by the team to ask for more detail. The processing of your request will be delayed until you reply.

How long will it take to get my records?

  • The regulations require the Council to provide you with a copy of your information within one month of receiving your valid request. However if your request is complex we are allowed to extend this by two months and we will tell you if this is the case. 
  • If you apply to another organisation for access to your records they may have different timescales in which to give you the information

Why has some information been blocked out?

There are several reasons why some information may be blocked out (redacted), for example it may refer to someone other than yourself: so this will not be part of your personal information. 

Why have you not given me any information?

There are rare occasions when we do not have the personal information you ask for. This could be for a number of reasons, for example no information about you could be found - because the records are no longer held. If we do not have the information we will let you know. 

How will you get the information to me?

This will depend upon the nature and amount of information. Normally we will give you a choice. We can, depending on the size of the information:

  • Send it to you by encrypted email, or
  • Post the information to you by Special Delivery Service on a password protected disc, or
  • Arrange for you to collect it from one of our offices
  • Important – if you wish us to post the information, we will take every care to ensure that it is addressed correctly. However we cannot be held liable if the information is lost in the post or incorrectly delivered or opened by someone else in your household. Loss or incorrect delivery may cause you embarrassment or harm if the information is ‘sensitive’.

What if I want information about the Council that is not personal information?

Requests for all other types of information, which is not personal information, is dealt with under the provision of the Freedom of Information Act 2000.

The Information Commissioner is the independent regulatory body who is responsible for enforcing the Data Protection Act 2018 and General Data Protection Regulations. The Commissioner offers a range of publications about your rights, as well as advice and assistance.

How to report a data breach

To report a data breach, please email us at or write to Information Governance, Coventry City Council, PO Box 15, Council House, Coventry, CV1 5RR

Information Governance


Tel: 024 7697 5408

PO Box 15
Council House
Earl Street

Is there anything wrong with this page?