Pre-application planning advice
Our pre-application commitments
When you have submitted a pre-application request we make the following commitments.
- We will acknowledge receipt of requests within 3 working days.
- We will advise you if your request is invalid, explaining the reasons why and allowing you time to submit any missing information. If a fee has been submitted for advice without all of the necessary information and the information is not received within 20 working days following a request, the fee will be returned with £30 deducted for administration costs.
- We will provide services tailored to the needs of each development proposal shown indicatively in the pre-application service summary pages and will adopt a proportionate and flexible approach.
- We will work constructively to identify what needs to be done to achieve sustainable development in accordance with the Development Plan, national planning policy and other material considerations, but we will also be clear where significant policy and technical conflicts are unlikely to be resolved. Our professional advice will always be given in good faith, but this will not be binding on the council, and is given without prejudice, based upon the information available at the time when development proposals are submitted. If an application is subsequently submitted which fails to take on board advice given by officers, then the council may refuse it without further discussion with the applicant or their agent.
- We will seek initial advice on aspects such as transport, community facilities and open space, conservation and landscape, trees and ecology as appropriate. If more detailed advice on drainage and highway matters are requested this may be subject to a further fee.
- We will provide an indication of the measures required to mitigate the impacts of development and their possible inclusion in a section 106 agreement.
- Meetings will be held according to the standards set out in the pre-application service summary pages. There will be a presumption that any meetings will take place at the civic offices in Coventry, unless justification or necessity requires a meeting on site.
- We will provide written advice within 10 working days of the meeting or within 28 days of receipt of a valid pre-application enquiry. (Unless otherwise agreed).