Private renting

Pages in Private renting

  1. Considering renting a property from a private landlord or letting agency? What you should know.
  2. Tenancy agreement
  3. Which tenancy?
  4. Moving in
  5. Deposits
  1. Moving out
  2. Eviction and harassment
  3. Safety
  4. Repairs
  5. Students

Considering renting a property from a private landlord or letting agency? What you should know.

These pages contain advice and information for people renting or seeking to rent a house. If you are having problems with your landlord, please visit our complaints pages.

Considering renting a property from a private landlord or a letting agency? Know your rights and responsibilities as a tenant and those of your landlord.

If you rent from a letting agent, make sure they are registered with a Letting and Managing Agent Redress Scheme.

Letting and managing agents, by law, must display their fees prominently in their office and website.

Check if the property requires a licence and if so, that it is licensed. You can check if it is with the Council or by asking to see the licence.

Visit the property to make sure it meets your needs and is in good repair.

All rented properties must have a smoke detector on every floor of the property used for residential purposes and a carbon monoxide detector in any room that has a solid fuel appliance and is used as living accommodation. Additional fire protection measures may also be required depending on the fire risk or if the property is shared with others.

The agent or landlord must show the energy performance certificate for the property when advertising the property; and if the property has gas, a gas safety check record before you move in or within 28 days of a new check being done.

Since 1 October 2015, a landlord under an assured shorthold tenancy must provide the tenant with a copy of How to rent: the checklist for renting in England.

Once you have paid a deposit, make sure your landlord protects it in one of the Government approved schemes. Your landlord must do this and within 30 days of taking the deposit inform you which scheme it is protected in.

If you are starting a new tenancy in England, you will have to prove to your landlord that you have a right to rent. The landlord will ask you to show documentation.

Useful documents:

Customer Services

Open 9am–5pm Monday to Friday (excluding bank holidays)

Tel: 08085 834333


If you do need to call us,
please try to avoid our busiest times
of lunchtime and early afternoon.

Is there anything wrong with this page?