What can Discretionary Housing Payments be considered for?
We may be able to help you with a DHP if:
- You need to pay rent in advance, a bond or a deposit because you are currently in a property that you cannot afford and you need to move to a more affordable property.
- You have a shortfall between the amount of Housing Benefit / Housing costs in Universal Credit you get and the amount of rent you have to pay.
- You are struggling to pay your rent because you are considered to be under-occupying a housing association property (you may know this situation as ‘the bedroom tax’).
- You are struggling to pay your rent because of the Local Housing Allowance reforms.
- You are struggling to pay your rent because of the Benefit Cap.
- You need help with the cost of moving (depending on the reasons why you need to move).Please note, we cannot help you if you just want to move as a personal choice.
- You need help to clear rent arrears (depending on the reason that rent arrears have built up and taking into account the Council’s policy on preventing homelessness and supporting vulnerable families).