Get the best from this site

We would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. For more information, including how to turn cookies off, see more about cookies. Or simply continue below:


Discretionary Housing Payments

What can Discretionary Housing Payments be considered for?

We may be able to help you with a DHP if:

  • You need to pay rent in advance, a bond or a deposit because you are currently in a property that you cannot afford and you need to move to a more affordable property.
  • You have a shortfall between the amount of Housing Benefit / Housing costs in Universal Credit you get and the amount of rent you have to pay.
  • You are struggling to pay your rent because you are considered to be under-occupying a housing association property (you may know this situation as ‘the bedroom tax’).
  • You are struggling to pay your rent because of the Local Housing Allowance reforms.
  • You are struggling to pay your rent because of the Benefit Cap.
  • You need help with the cost of moving (depending on the reasons why you need to move).Please note, we cannot help you if you just want to move as a personal choice.
  • You need help to clear rent arrears (depending on the reason that rent arrears have built up and taking into account the Council’s policy on preventing homelessness and supporting vulnerable families).

Discretionary housing payments

Monday to Friday 11am to 2pm


Tel: 024 7683 3773

Customer Service Centre
3 Upper Precinct

Is there anything wrong with this page?