Why is it good to be bi-lingual?
Advantages of being bi-lingual:
- Twice the enjoyment of reading, able to enjoy books from both countries, and understanding the different traditions.
- Access to two cultures, folk stories, history and music etc.
- A greater tolerance of different cultures.
- Better at IQ tests, school curriculum and other tests.
- Able to think more flexibly e.g. words in different languages may have different meanings.
- Being more sensitive to the needs of listeners as they have to know what language to use with which people in which situation.
- Having a head start in reading as less fixed on word sound and more centred on word meaning.
- Raises self esteem.
- Strong sense of identity. Language is a strong link between people, giving them a sense of belonging.
- Easier to learn further languages.
- Wider choice of jobs e.g. tourism and translation.