Retaliatory eviction

The Council will investigate complaints of harassment and illegal eviction. Where a complaint is received the case officer will contact you to advise accordingly.  

Please note that tenants quitting properties with fixed period tenancy agreements early are still liable for the rent until the end of that fixed period.  Further information is available on Shelter's web pages.

If you complain to a private landlord about repairs or bad conditions you may be protected from eviction.

For assured shorthold tenancies starting from 1 October 2015 a court can refuse to order your eviction if all these apply:

  • You complained to your landlord or letting agent in writing (by letter or email)
  • Your landlord issued a section 21 notice after you complained
  • You complained to the local council because your landlord didn't take steps to fix the problem
  • The Council sent your landlord a notice telling them to make improvements or that the council will carry out emergency work

Housing Enforcement

Open 9am–5pm Monday to Friday (excluding bank holidays)

Address: PO Box 15
Council House
Earl Street

Telephone: 024 7697 5495

Cartoon silhouettes of lots of people, with colourful shapes layered over the top.

Tell us about yourself and share your feedback to help us improve our services.

Complete the Regulatory Services customer feedback