Get the best from this site

We would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. For more information, including how to turn cookies off, see more about cookies. Or simply continue below:


COVID-19 (Coronavirus)

This is affecting us all at work and at home. We’re working hard to keep services running and focusing on the most critical. This means some services may be affected. For help, call 08085 834333.

Read our latest update

Registering a death

When a body is to be taken out of England and Wales

If a body is to be taken out of England and Wales, notice must be given to the coroner for the area where the body is lying. There is no law about moving bodies within England and Wales, but notice is needed to take a body to Scotland, Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands, as well as abroad.

A Form of Notice (form 104) is available from a registrar or a coroner. Any certificate for burial or cremation already issued by the registrar or the coroner must be given to the coroner with the notice.

The coroner will let you know they have received the notice and say when the removal of the body may take place. This will normally be after four clear days. If it is urgent, the person giving notice to the coroner should speak to him or her personally to see if this can be sooner.

Please contact Coventry Register Office for further information about registering a death. 

Register office

Telephone: Monday - Friday: 9am - 5pm

Email: [email protected]

Tel: 024 7683 3141

Building opening times: 9.15am–4.30pm Monday to Friday (excluding bank holidays)
Cheylesmore Manor House
Manor House Drive

Is there anything wrong with this page?