Energy Company Obligation (ECO)

Warmer homes in Coventry

About the scheme

Warmer Homes in Coventry offers help with home insulation and heating improvements for residents who are struggling to afford to stay warm.

Residents could receive contributions towards the cost of the following improvements if they meet certain criteria: 

  • cavity wall insulation
  • loft insulation 
  • a gas boiler replacement 
  • electric storage heater replacement 
  • room-in-roof insulation 
  • solid wall insulation  

In some cases, residents may be able to get help for free.

Warmer Homes in Coventry uses funding from energy suppliers under the Government's Energy Company Obligation (ECO). The Council will be running the scheme in partnership with Act On Energy - they will access the ECO funding from suppliers and will be responsible for installing the insulation and heating improvements. You do not need to be a customer of any particular energy supplier to be eligible for ECO funding. 

To find out whether you can get help, contact Act On Energy by calling 0800 988 2881 or email [email protected]. The final decision about what improvements can be offered and any cost to the resident will be made by the Act On Energy. They will need to arrange a survey of your home with you to make this decision.  

There are two main sets of criteria that will be used under the scheme;  

  1. Help to Heat - you'll need to be receiving specific benefits for this.  
  2. Local Authority Flexible Eligibility - you do not need to be receiving benefits for this.   

Help to Heat 

Under this part of ECO, residents can be considered for help if they are an owner occupier or privately rent their home and are in receipt of one of the following benefits: 

  • Child Tax Credit 
  • Working Tax Credit 
  • Universal Credit 
  • Pension Guarantee Credit - you won't be eligible if you only claim Pension Savings Credit 
  • Income Support 
  • Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA) 
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) 

If you claim Child Tax Credit, Working Tax Credit or Universal Credit your eligibility will depend on your income. 

Local Authority Flexible Eligibility 

If you don't meet the criteria for Help to Heat, you might well be able to get help under the much broader criteria of Local Authority Flexible Eligibility instead.  

To be considered under this you'll need to be an owner occupier or private tenant who is: 

  1. Living on a low income and facing high heating costs, or 
  2. Living on a low income and vulnerable to the health effects of living in a cold home, or 
  3. Living in a solid walled home that could benefit from external wall insulation, even though you wouldn't be considered under 1) or 2) above. As long as you meet the requirements for being in close proximity to eligible homes, and the right proportion of homes are eligible, you could be considered. 

For more details of 1) - 3) above you'll need to look at the Council's Statement of Intent.

If you need to, you can also access any previous versions of our Statement of Intent.

How much help can you get? 

The help you can get will depend on a number of things.  

The amount of ECO funding an energy supplier is willing to pay towards insulation and heating measures will be affected by the lifetime energy cost savings, or carbon savings, that the measures will contribute towards them meeting their ECO targets. As a result of this the funding will vary for different property types, sizes and heating systems. 

We understand that if an owner is required to make a financial contribution towards the cost of insulation or heating, they may not always be able to afford it. The Council therefore has a limited amount of money to meet some or all of an owner's contribution in individual cases.

The money will be allocated for owner occupied and privately rented homes in the following way:  

  1. Assistance will only be considered for insulation or heating measures that are to receive ECO funding under the Help to Heat or Local Authority Flexible Eligibility. Assistance will not be available for measures receiving Carbon Emission Reduction Obligation funding. 
  2. To be eligible for assistance, an owner occupier must be assessed as having savings of less than £8,000 (single person household) or £12,000 (multiple person household). 
  3. A request for assistance must be made to the Affordable Warmth Team in order to be considered. Funding will be made available on a "first come first served basis" and the date a fully completed Enquiry Form was received will be used to prioritise allocations. 
  4. A tenant will not be required to contribute towards the cost of insulation or heating. Any contribution required must be paid by the landlord. 

Here's three examples of the help that could be available: 

1. Gas Boiler replacement

Mary and her family live in an average-sized 3 bedroomed semi-detached house and needs a new efficient gas boiler for her central heating system. She receives Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance. Providing it is a straightforward replacement, it won't cost Mary anything to have it replaced under Warmer Homes in Coventry after the Council has helped with her contribution. 

2. External wall insulation

Upkhar lives in an average-sized 3 bedroomed mid-terrace house with solid walls and has got electric storage heaters. He's not receiving benefits but is on a low income and his house has a Band E rated Energy Performance Certificate showing that it's hard to heat. He could save around £160 a year on his fuel bills by having external wall insulation fitted. After the Council has helped with his contribution, the cost to him under Warmer Homes in Coventry will be greatly reduced.

3. Cavity wall insulation

Tom lives in an average-sized 3 bedroomed end-terrace house with uninsulated cavity walls, and has got gas central heating. He's not receiving benefits and has 2 children under the age of 18 living with him. Under Warmer Homes in Coventry, the cavity wall insulation would be installed at no cost to Tom.

Disclaimer: Please note that all cases are subject to a survey so funding available will be assessed on a house to house basis.

Need any more information about Warmer Homes in Coventry? 

If you have any questions, please contact Act On Energy.

Act On Energy

Email: [email protected]

Tel: 0800 988 2881

For advice and information

Is there anything wrong with this page?