How to dispute a parking penalty charge notice

If you wish to pay the 50 per cent reduced amount, then you must pay within 14 days of the date the PCN was issued. The full amount is due when the 14 day discount period has expired.

If you pay within 28 days of the date the Penalty Charge Notice (PCN) was issued then no further action will be taken by Coventry City Council.

If you believe that the PCN you received should not have been issued, or that there are special reasons why it should be cancelled, the following notes explain how to dispute a PCN.

Dispute a Penalty Charge Notice

You can challenge a PCN within 28 days from the date of service if you feel that it has been wrongly issued.

If you need help deciding whether to challenge a Penalty Charge Notice

Both are available 24 hours.

The vehicle owner can dispute a PCN at three stages.

  1. Informal challenge 
  2. Formal representation - by making a 'formal representation' once the Notice to Owner (NtO) has been served.
  3. Appeal - If a formal representation is rejected, you can appeal to the independent parking adjudicator at Traffic Penalty Tribunal.

Informal challenge:

  • If you wish to make an informal challenge, you can do this online within 28 days of the date of the PCN:

Challenge a PCN online

  • Informal challenges can also be made by sending us a letter within 28 days of the date of the PCN to Coventry City Council, Parking Services, P.O Box 15, Coventry, CV1 5RR. You will need to include your PCN number, your vehicle registration number and your address if you challenge by letter.
  • If we accept your challenge you will not be required to pay the PCN and we will write to you to confirm this.
  • If your informal challenge is received within 14 days of the PCN being served the penalty charge will be held at £25 or £35 until the challenge has been considered. If your challenge is unsuccessful you will be notified by letter and (i) you will then be given a further 14 days in which to pay the penalty charge at the reduced amount of £25 or £35, or (ii) you can proceed to the next stage of the formal appeal process. 

Formal representation:

  • If you do not make an informal challenge, or do not make payment within 28 days of the date of service of the PCN or within 14 days of a rejection of an informal challenge, the Council will issue a Notice to Owner (NtO) to the registered owner requesting payment of the full £50 or £70.
  • You may make a formal representation only after receiving a Notice to Owner.

Make a Formal Representation online

  • The owner of the vehicle is responsible for payment of the penalty charge irrespective of who was driving the vehicle at the time the PCN was issued.
  • If you wish to make a formal representation you can do so by completing and returning the Notice to Owner (NtO).
  • If the Council rejects a Formal Representation, a Notice of Rejection of Representation will be sent to the owner requesting payment of £50 or £70 together with details of how to appeal to the adjudicator.

Appeal to the independent Parking Adjudicator (Traffic Penalty Tribunal):

  • You can appeal to the external independent adjudication service at Traffic Penalty Tribunal.
  • The relevant information will be included with the Council's Notice of Rejection of Representation.
  • If the Traffic Penalty Tribunal allows the appeal, the Council will be instructed to cancel the PCN. However, if Traffic Penalty Tribunal rejects the appeal, the full charge of either £50 or £70 will be payable.
  • For further information about the Traffic Penalty Tribunal please contact:

Remember if you wish to dispute a Penalty Charge Notice (PCN) please:

  • Make an informal challenge within 14 days of the PCN being issued against the discounted rate of £25 or £35.
  • Remember, if your informal challenge is received between 14 days and 28 days of the PCN being served then the full charge of £50 or £70 will apply.
  • Make Formal Representations within 28 days of the date of the Notice to Owner.
  • Tell us as much as you can about your reasons for believing the ticket should be cancelled.
  • Provide us with any evidence you have to support your claim. 
  • Note, formal representations are considered at the full cost and not the discounted rate.

We are a member of the Parking And Traffic Regulations Outside London (PATROL) Adjudication Joint Committee. The Joint Committee publishes an Annual Statement of Accounts which is subject to external audit.