Will I get permission for a house extension?

Do I need planning permission? 

How do I apply?  

Building Control

For advice on whether you need building regulation consent for your proposal please contact our Building Control Team

Conservation Areas and Listed buildings

You can check to see if your property is within a conservation area or is a Listed building using our online map.

There are additional restrictions on permitted development for extensions in conservation areas. You should ensure that you fully understand your permitted development allowances prior to starting any project. 

Removal of permitted development rights (NPD)

Sometimes when granting planning permission, we will remove some or all of the permitted development allowances that would allow extensions or alterations to the property without further planning permission. These areas are known as No Permitted Development Areas. We have identified the areas on our online map with some brief details of the development allowances remove. You should always check the original decision notice under which the property was constructed to confirm the information.

Lawful Development Certificate

If you require confirmation that your proposal does not require planning permission then you should make an application for a Lawful Development Certificate (LDC) for proposed use.


We are unable to give informal advice by telephone, please refer to our planning webpages for guidance.

Address: PO Box 15
Council House
Earl Street

Telephone: 024 7683 1109