Guide to complaints

Full corporate complaints policy and procedure can be obtained from staff.

What is a complaint?

Any expression of dissatisfaction about the standard of service, actions, or lack of action by the Council or its employees, which the customer feels should have been provided.

Compliments and Comments

Service users may also provide compliments or expressions of gratitude to particular staff or services.

Making a complaint, compliment or comment

Visit our Comments, Compliments and Complaints page for further details.

Who can complain?

Anyone receiving or seeking a service from the Council or anyone acting for those unable or unwilling to complain personally i.e. a 'representative' can make a complaint.

A 'representative' is someone acting on behalf of a complainant where that person is unable to make the complaint themselves, or has asked the person to act on their behalf.

There are two stages to the formal Complaints Procedure:

Stage 1 – service investigation

If it has not been possible to resolve the complaint informally at Broad Park House, further investigation and feedback will be given to the complainant.

All reasonable steps to resolve the complaint at Stage 1, and will respond within 10 working days. Where this is not possible, the complainant will be sent an update with an estimate of the likely timescale for a response.

Complainants will be notified in writing of the outcome. Whether the complaint has been upheld or not, the reasons and the complainant's right to a service investigation review (Stage 2).

If the complainant is not satisfied with the outcome of the investigation at Stage 1, then Stage 2 can begin.

Stage 2 - service investigation review

This will either be conducted by a senior manager of the service or, a senior officer or manager outside the line management of the service The Council will normally respond to the complainant within 20 working days. Complainants will be notified in writing of the outcome.

You can also contact:

Piccadilly Gate
Store Street
M1 2WD
Tel: 0300 123 1231

Complainant’s right to take their complaint seen by the Local Government Ombudsman, who might decide to carry out an independent investigation of the complaint.

Local Government Ombudsman
Tel: 0300 061 0614 or 0845 602 1983
Text ‘call back’ to 0762 480 4299
PO Box 4771, Coventry, CV4 0EH

You can also speak with your allocated Social Worker (ask a staff member for the phone number) or the Independent Children’s Rights Officer of any complaints, compliments or comments on 024 7637 2596.

Broad Park House

Address: Logan Road

Telephone: 024 7661 5254