What is Universal Credit?
Universal Credit is administered by the DWP and not by Coventry City Council. It means a significant change to the way benefits are received. It is paid monthly in arrears and will include housing costs (rent). It replaces all of the following benefits, also known as 'legacy benefits':
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Housing Benefit
- Child Tax Credit and Working Tax Credit
You will not be able to claim help with your Council Tax within Universal Credit. You must claim this separately with Coventry City Council.
It does not include a number of other benefits including:
- Council Tax Support
- Contribution based Jobseekers Allowance
- Contribution based Employment and Support Allowance
- Disability benefits
- Pension age benefits