Registering the birth of a child conceived after fertility treatment

The woman who gives birth, including a surrogate mother, will be shown as the child's mother in the register. The registered father of the child will generally be the husband or partner who received treatment with the mother.

In the case of a surrogacy arrangement, the couple who arranged for the surrogate mother to carry a child for them can apply to the courts for a parental order that will allow the birth to be re-registered to show them as the parents. You should ask for legal advice if you need more information about this. When a court issues a parental order, a copy is sent to Corrections and Re-registration Section at the General Register Office in Southport who will complete the re-registration of the birth.

Register office sign

Register office

Telephone: Monday - Friday: 9am - 5pm. Building opening times: 9.15am–4.30pm Monday to Friday (excluding bank holidays)

Address: Cheylesmore Manor House
Manor House Drive

Telephone: 024 7683 3141