Parental responsibility

The mother of a child, and the father if he is married to the mother, automatically have parental responsibility.

Where the parents are not married to each other, the father will take on parental responsibility if he acts with the mother to have his name recorded in the child's birth registration. An unmarried father can also get parental responsibility by later marrying the child's mother, by making a parental responsibility agreement with her or by getting a court order.

You might want to think about this if you have other children. If you need further information or advice, you should call Parentline Plus on 0808 800 2222 or textphone them on 0800 783 6783, or get legal advice.

Further information on treatment services and deceased fathers (external website).

Register office sign

Register office

Telephone: Monday - Friday: 9am - 5pm. Building opening times: 9.15am–4.30pm Monday to Friday (excluding bank holidays)

Address: Cheylesmore Manor House
Manor House Drive

Telephone: 024 7683 3141