Benefits, debt and housing

Find out about the different types of benefits available, the eligibility criteria and how to make a claim

A useful Government funded free and impartial service for help with money management, benefits and debt advice is Money Advice.

At Coventry City Council, we are committed to supporting our customers who experience money worries.
Whilst we are doing all we can to help our customers, we recognise there may be other debts that you need help and advice with. If you are worried about debts or have missed payments, there is also free and independent debt advice available. The government-sponsored MoneyHelper can help you find support.

We also commission a range of advice services to ensure that the needs of Coventry residents are met, these include:

Citizens Advice Coventry

Citizens Advice Coventry offers free, confidential, impartial and independent advice on a wide range of issues, including consumer, housing, child support and divorce and is a major provider of financial advice whether this is simple debt or more complex problems. Use the link above to access a range of fact sheets and other information resources or to find out how to access online, telephone or face to face advice.

Coventry Law Centre

Coventry Law Centre provides free legal advice and representation to people facing disadvantage in Coventry. The Law Centre specialises in the following areas of law: Community Care, Discrimination, Employment, Family, Housing, Asylum and Immigration, Money and Debt, and Welfare Benefits. Use the link above to find out more about the Law Centre and how to access their services.

Coventry Independent Advice Services

Telephone 024 7652 1100

Coventry Independent Advice Services is a charity offering free advice, information and support to all Coventry residents. Coventry Independent Advice Services is the new name for free neighbourhood advice in Coventry. Bring together the well-established advice services that were previously delivered by Willenhall Advice Centre, Wood End Advice and Information Centre and Holbrooks Community Care Association.

The service is confidential and their skilled advisers can help with things like:

  • Helping to sort out debt and other money problems
  • Challenging decisions on benefit claims
  • Giving basic advice and information about housing and other welfare issues 
  • Helping people to find other appropriate sources of support
  • Identifying entitlement to benefits and helping make claims

Housing and Homelessness

Our Homelessness Prevention Service provides advice, assessment and assistance to people with a housing need. The earlier you approach the Council, the more likely it is that the Homelessness Prevention Service will be able to help you resolve your housing issues before you become homeless. 

Coventry Homefinder is the system used to gain social housing. Coventry City Council does not own any council houses, we work with registered housing providers who provide this type of housing in Coventry. Coventry Homefinder is used to advertise available properties that you can place bids on (express an interest in) in order to be considered for a property. You need to register with Coventry Homefinder to place bids on properties.

Adult Social Care Direct

Speech impairment, deaf or hard of hearing? You can call using Next Generation Text (also known as Text Relay and TypeTalk): Call 18001 024 7683 3003

Address: PO Box 15
Council House
Earl Street

Telephone: 024 7683 3003