Community Support Grants

Support Grants

What is a Support Grant?

A Support Grant is intended to:

  • Help people who are setting up home after leaving accommodation in which they received significant and substantial care and supervision (examples include leaving hospital or prison).
  • Help people who need help to stay in the community rather than enter accommodation to receive care (such as a residential care home or nursing home).
  • Help people who are setting up home as part of a planned programme of resettlement (organised by someone like a Local Authority, voluntary organisation, housing association or registered charity) following an unsettled way of life (for example, previously staying in a hostel or sleeping rough).
  • Ease exceptional pressure on people or families.Examples of exceptional pressure could include a breakdown of family relationships or disruption due to a major fire or flooding at home.

There may also be other situations where you could apply for a Support Grant.

Please note that we may ask you to provide evidence to support your application.

Who can apply for a Support Grant?

To apply for a Support Grant, you must be:

  • A resident of Coventry
  • Receiving, or be expected to receive, one of the following benefits:
    • Income Support
    • Income-Based Jobseeker’s Allowance
    • Income-Related Employment & Support Allowance
    • Universal Credit
    • Pension Credit

What does a Support Grant cover?

If you are awarded a Support Grant because you are setting up home, you can apply for essential furniture items only (items include cooker, fridge, bed, kitchen equipment, etc). We will order the items and they will be delivered to you.

We can only consider items that are relevant to the individual claim. We will not award double or large items for single people. For example, for a single person, we can only consider awarding:

  • A single bed not a double bed
  • A small fridge not a family-sized fridge

If you need help with a bond or deposit, rent in advance or removal costs, you need to apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment.

Evidence needed for a Support Grant: Guidance for Support Organisations

If you are helping someone with their Community Support Grant claim, please note that we will need supporting evidence to enable us to decide if a Community Support Grant can be awarded. 

The quickest way of sending us the evidence is to upload it with the online application, or you could email us the evidence after the claim form has been submitted.  There is a section on the form which allows you to attach evidence.

Other examples of evidence we may request are:

  • Support plan/supporting letter for someone who is returning from a care setting/hostel
  • Evidence from the fire service/social landlord, in the case of a disaster (major fire, flood, etc)
  • Evidence from Social Services in cases where we are preventing someone from going into care

If you are completing an application on behalf of a client, please ensure you tell us on the form so that we can contact you directly if further information is required. If a client is due to be passed on to floating support shortly, please ensure that we are informed of the contact details for the floating support worker. If you do not specify this on the form, we will need a signed disclosure in order to discuss an application with you.

When deciding a claim we will also consider individual circumstances and medical reasons. These details must be included on the application form and evidence may be requested.

If you are asking for a cooker, please tell us if there is an electric cooker point available in the property. 

How long will it take for the Council to decide my Support Grant claim?

We assess claims in order of the date we receive them. However, during the COVID-19 pandemic, claims are taking a little longer than we would like. Please ensure you provide all the information requested at the point you submit the form or as soon as possible afterwards. This will ensure your claim is processed as soon as possible

How do I get the items I have been awarded?

We will order the items for you and you will be told when they will be delivered. We will send you a letter to explain the details.

Community Support Grant

Email: [email protected]

Tel: 024 7683 3773

Customer Service Centre
Upper Precinct
3 Broadgate

Is there anything wrong with this page?