Report an adult safeguarding concern

Safeguarding is work that helps vulnerable adults to keep their independence, wellbeing and choice and to live a life free from abuse, including neglect. It is important to understand that Safeguarding is everyone's responsibility, including yours. We all have a role to play in preventing abuse. If you see something, report it as quickly as possible to stop it getting worse.

To report your concerns contact Adult Social Care Direct on 024 7683 3003 or email Remember, if it's an emergency, dial 999.

Also see: Telling us about harm or mistreatment if you are a provider or professional

Concerned about adult abuse?

  • Do you think a vulnerable adult is being harmed or is at risk of being harmed by someone else or is neglecting themselves?
  • Are you worried that a vulnerable adult is living in circumstances (at home or in care) where they are being treated badly or neglected?

If you've answered yes to either of these questions, then please contact Adult Social Care Direct (contact details above) to report your concerns. Don't worry if you are not sure. All reports will be looked into and no action will be taken unless it is needed.

What will I be asked?

We will ask you for some information about;

  • yourself (unless you wish to remain anonymous)
  • the person you are concerned about
  • the alleged abuser
  • what you have seen or heard

We will let you know who needs to be told.

What will happen next?

We will make sure the vulnerable adult is safe and we will contact anyone we need information from. An important part is talking to the adult concerned, unless it would put them at risk. A decision will be made within 48 hours about what action is needed. Further enquiries would then be made to look into the issue. The length of time this takes will depend on the issues involved and the person’s wishes. Depending on the nature of the concern and the person affected we may refer you to someone else for help. We will tell you what is happening as soon as possible

Remember, if it's an emergency, dial 999.

What is abuse?

Abuse can be:

  • Physical: This includes hitting, slapping, kicking, misuse of medication, restraint and force feeding.
  • Domestic violence – including psychological, physical, sexual, financial, emotional abuse; so called ‘honour’ based violence.
  • Financial or material: This includes theft, fraud or using a person's money, possessions or property without consent.
  • Psychological/emotional: This includes threats of harm or abandonment, isolation, humiliation, blaming, controlling, intimidation, harassment, verbal abuse, threats or bribes.
  • Sexual: This includes sexual assault, rape or sexual acts to which the vulnerable adult has not consented, could not consent, or was pressurised into consenting.
  • Neglect or acts of omission: A failure to provide appropriate care (such as food, clothing, medication, heating, cleanliness, hygiene) and denying religious or cultural needs.
  • Discriminatory abuse: This includes racism, sexism, ageism and discrimination based on a person's disability or sexual orientation. Some abuse in this category might also be classed as a hate crime.
  • Modern slavery – encompasses slavery, human trafficking, forced labour and domestic servitude. Traffickers and slave masters use whatever means they have at their disposal to coerce, deceive and force individuals into a life of abuse, servitude and inhumane treatment.
  • Self-neglect – this covers a wide range of behaviour around neglecting to care for personal hygiene, health or surroundings and includes behaviour such as hoarding.

There is a range of safeguarding adults information leaflets and posters.

The Coventry Safeguarding Adults Board (CSAB) have produced a range of information posters on the different abuse types.

My Safeguarding Experience

Information about how you will be involved in the safeguarding process.

Adult Social Care Direct

Speech impairment, deaf or hard of hearing? You can call using Next Generation Text (also known as Text Relay and TypeTalk): Call 18001 024 7683 3003

Address: PO Box 15
Council House
Earl Street

Telephone: 024 7683 3003