Get the best from this site

We would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. For more information, including how to turn cookies off, see more about cookies. Or simply continue below:


COVID-19 (Coronavirus)

This is affecting us all at work and at home. We’re working hard to keep services running and focusing on the most critical. This means some services may be affected. For help, call 08085 834333.

Read our latest update

Universal Credit

What is Universal Credit?

Universal Credit is administered by the DWP and not by Coventry City Council. It means a significant change to the way benefits are received. It is paid monthly in arrears and will include housing costs (rent). It replaces all of the following benefits, also known as 'legacy benefits':

  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Housing Benefit
  • Child Tax Credit and Working Tax Credit

You will not be able to claim help with your Council Tax within Universal Credit. You must claim this separately with Coventry City Council. Make an application for Council Tax Support.

It does not include a number of other benefits including:

Univeral credit logos

Is there anything wrong with this page?