We aim to:
- Make regular collections when we say that we will - if we have missed your bin please tell us within 48 hours of your collection day, and after 4 pm on the day of your collection (when crews have completed their rounds)
- Keep you informed of any reasons that your bin may not have been emptied using bin tags
- Provide the bins that meet your needs. Please ask if you need smaller bins or additional bins. We can also collect extra or bulky waste on request
- Replace or repair bins that are damaged or stolen
- Treat all waste in accordance with the law and with consideration to the environment and our customers, whilst making sure that we recycle and reuse as much as possible
- Be courteous, helpful and polite at all times
- Introduce new kerbside recycling schemes in partnership with residents and listen to your opinions
- Lead by example - reviewing our own waste and applying the objectives described above
- Work with partners to make sure that all of our waste activities are carried out in the most suitable way
- Be good managers of any hazardous waste and make sure we dispose of it to the latest legal and safety requirements
You can help us by:
- Putting your bins out for collection by 7 am on the collection day and taking them back to your property as soon as possible (maximum 24 hours)
- Not overfilling your bin. Keep the lid closed and please do not put extra bags at the side of the bin - we cannot take these away.
- Not filling your bin with heavy objects, such as rubble or soil
- Recycling as much of your waste as possible in your blue-lidded bin - we must try to recycle 50% of our waste and we are currently only recycling approximately 37%
- Find out more about going greener
Where does your waste go?
The recycling collected in the blue-lidded bins is taken in bulk from Coventry to Martins Materials' recycling site in Derby and Leeds. The materials are separated in a mainly mechanical process and then sold on to various recycling companies.
The garden waste that is collected in brown-lidded bins is taken to a local site where it is composted.
General rubbish that is collected from green-lidded bins is taken to Coventry and Solihull Waste Disposal Company. The waste is incinerated to create energy, which is sold to the National Grid. This means that only the ash that is left at the end is send to landfill.
Household Recycling and Reuse Centre (the tip)
Various domestic materials are accepted for recycling and reuse at the Household Recycling and Reuse Centre (the tip). These include glass, cans, paper, cardboard, garden waste, reusable tools, electrical goods and appliances and wood.
To find out how to dispose of a specific item, please visit A-Z of rubbish and recycling.