Can I apply for my claim to be backdated?

We can pay Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support from an earlier date if you have good cause for not claiming sooner. The maximum that can be agreed for working age customers is 1 month for Housing Benefit and 6 months for Council Tax Support prior to the date backdating is requested.

This is not an automatic entitlement and will depend on your reasons for making a late claim.

If you are of pensionable age your claim will be automatically considered for backdating for up to 3 months before you claimed - you will not need to request this.

How do I apply for backdating?

If you have not yet made a claim there is a section on the online claim form where you can request backdating.

If you have already claimed and now want to apply for backdating you can download a backdating form.

Benefits service

Address: Broadgate House
Customer Service Centre

Telephone: 024 7683 1800